We all want that awesome job, that big beautiful home and if you’re single, that hot guy or girl. However, often times, we think its not possible or too far fetched to even go after it. What if I tell you that by building a vision board and starring at it for 10-15 minutes per day will keep it fresh in your mind and make it easier for you to get whatever it is you dream of having?
If you have been involved in the personal development world in last few years, you’ve obviously heard of “The Secret”. In this movie, the concept of the vision board was first introduced on a mass scale. Because of the popularity of the movie, many people took notice. Besides the movie, there is an awesome book called “Creative Visualization” by Shakti Gawain that discusses in detail the power of vision boards and visualization for the attainment of anything you literally desire.
Although the term “vision board” may be something new, the idea goes back as early as the 1900’s. Scientific evidence and quantum physicists talk about it in movies and there are scores of articles and books published on the subject. Heck, even Oprah endorses it!
Here are some references:
- Like attracts like – Whatever it is you’re thinking about, you’re getting more of. Think negative, you will get more negative thoughts and the same for positive.
- In the book “The Law Of Success in Sixteen Lessons”, Napoleon Hill discusses imagination as his 6th law but goes further into it in his 1100+ page book which builds onto the next lesson.
- In the movie “what the bleep do we know”, quantum physicists discuss that thoughts are actual things, you just can’t see them. Thoughts travel through ether.
Ready to begin? Before you begin the process, do these 5 steps first:
- Sit in a quiet room with a pen and paper.
- think of all the areas in your life that are important to you “love, career, family, finances, traveling around the world, your character, habits, virtues, etc.
- In each area of your life, now find 3-5 things that you desire. Love Example: Marriage with 2 children in a 4-bedroom home in Westchester County (see? very specific!)
- Be as specific as you can get but don’t try to hard. Your goal is to create the first draft. Later you can revise.
- Once you have 3-5 things in each area of your life written down, its time to start looking for the images.
What you will need to make it all happen:
- Find magazines that are congruent with your lifestyle.
- You want to look for images that really resonate with the image in your mind. If you’re a visual person, imagine yourself into the future and find a picture that is similar to how you imagined it.
- When you’re going through images, look for that “feeling” you get in the pitt of your stomach that makes you feel good. Those are the kinds of images that you want to cut out or print.
- From office depot, buy yourself a cork board with thumbtacks that is big enough so you can see it from far away. The bigger the better. Mine is 35×23.
- Once you’re finished, your final product should look something like the image above. You can do a Google image search for “vision board” to get other examples as well.
If you don’t like to buy magazines, there is Google Images. Just search for the keywords that interest you. This is my personal favorite but you need a printer to accomplish this.
A few things to take note on:
- Start with a few things that you can accomplish really quickly (weekend getaway, a spa day, etc) so that you can gain enthusiasm.
- Once you accomplish something on your vision wall, replace it with something new.
- Your first vision board will be a draft – you can always go back and tweak it. Don’t aim for perfection.
- As time goes on, your life and/or circumstances might change and therefore, you will need to make adjustments to your vision board as well.
- For some people, deciding on a career or business is difficult. If you’re in this situation, instead create a vision board with the lifestyle you want instead. Later on, as you gain more clarity and understanding, it will all come together.
Just because you have a vision board, miracles will NOT happen like magic. Its great to want it and want it NOW but you must also develop the initiative and leadership in order to carry it through.
Do you have a goals in life? Have you written them down? Do you read your goals once in the morning and once at night before you sleep?